The penny test is one of the oldest tire ‘tricks’ in the book when it comes to determining tire tread wear and M&M Automotive in Columbia, TN is familiar with the trick. What we like about the test is that it’s simple & anyone can conduct it! Did we mention that it is fun? We encourage you to not only conduct the test but to teach a friend or family member the test too. M&M Automotive believes that informed drivers are the best drivers to have on the road!
There are many reasons why you should conduct the test:
• To determine the tread depth of the tire
• You are concerned about your safety. If the tire is bald, then it will not grip the road very well
• You are driving in various weather conditions. In wet weather conditions, you are more prone to hydroplaning with bald tires
Conducting the test:
• Take a penny and place it upside down in the tread groove
• If you see all of Lincoln’s head then it is time for new tires
• If the penny is at least as deep as Lincoln’s forehead then you have good tire tread
M&M Automotive in Columbia, TN is dedicated to providing customers with the best options for tires & auto services. We have over 50 years of combined experience in the automotive industry! Without a doubt, you are in good hands when visiting M&M Automotive. If we are concerned about your tire tread, be sure to give us a call! M&M Automotive technicians are ready to answer your tire & auto service questions!